“Let’s Talk Mental Health in The Workplace”
“Let’s Talk Mental Health in The Workplace”.
Culture, Wellbeing, Resilience, Engagement, Change.
Ireland’s leader in executive recruitment, Principal Connections, were proud to sponsor a table at this years “Let’s Talk Mental Health in The Workplace”. MC’d by Ms Roisin Ingle from the Irish Times and organised by Donna O’Conner of Black Square, the inaugural event was held on the 25th of October 2017 in the CHQ Building on the North Quays, Dublin, (Ireland).
This is the first time senior executives from a variety of sectors have been brought together with the purpose of creating meaningful dialogue around the supports and structures needed to improve their organisation’s Mental Health strategy.
The day included a combination of presentations and panel discussions with plenty of time allocated to interactive Q&A sessions!
Lucinda Horwell, Associate Director at Principal Connections, described the event as
“Truly Inspiring, Honest, and Engaging on so many levels. The rawness and authenticity of the personal insights coupled with the sharing of highly impactful health and wellness initiatives, highlighted just how vital it is for organisations to take Workplace Mental Health seriously. Removed from the commercial enterprise, Mental Health strategy is about creating a supportive inclusive environment and getting rid of the stigma around Mental Health”.
A number of the topics covered included:
- A powerful start to the event with a personal story from See Change facilitator Barbara Brennan and a very interactive session followed, prompting attendees to look carefully at the language they use to discuss Mental Health and the impact of every day behaviours in the workplace.
- Catherine O’Flynn, Partner, William Fry gave her Employment Law Overview – Employer Responsibilities, Reasonable Accomodations, Supporting Employees Returning to the Workplace.
- Presentations from senior executives from the Corporate Sector sharing individual experiences of mental health challenges and their journey back to health.
- Caroline McGuigan, CEO, Suicide or Survive and Aoife Ní Mhurchú, Head of HR Sky, together shared the journey of implementing a Mental Health Education Initiative in Sky Ireland – involving over 1,000 employees.
- Panel Discussion, moderated by Deloitte, around WorkPlace Culture in Private & Public Sectors – Real stories shared of implementing good Mental Health strategies, challenges faced, lessons learned
- Dr Sarah O’Neill, Counselling Psychologist, Spectrum Health presented on how companies can move from standard EAP to a more targeted, scalable solution.
- The event concluded with a short presentation and a panel of strategic partners whose services focus on addressing stress in the Workplace, building resilience, improving productivity
Principal Connections – executive search & leadership advisory is Ireland’s leading Executive Recruitment and Leadership Consulting Firm and the exclusive Irish Member Firm of Agilium Worldwide Executive Search Group, a Global Top 25 Executive Search Organisation.
Since 1991, Principal Connections has advised Irish, International, and Global organisations at Senior, Executive and Board level across most Major Industries and Functional Disciplines.